The club was formed in 1946, and played, with limited access, on the courts at the north end of Avon Lane which at that time belonged to Northam Urban District Council.
These limits of time on court, and always having to leave a court for the use of the public, meant that membership had to be restricted to 70 senior and 25 junior members.
In 1970, to overcome these constraints, the club approached the council to ask if it would be prepared to sell the courts and pavilion, but this was refused.
The club members were agreed that should any suitable land become available, intensive efforts would be made to relocate to our own grounds.
As a result of an extremely generous offer by a local resident who owned land further south in Avon Lane, the club was able to go ahead with a project to develop on our present site, masterminded by Tony Stephens, who was then Chairman.
The estimated cost of the scheme at the time was approx £13,500. The club had a reserve of funds, and the balance was raised by grants and loans, which included a loan of £2,500 from NUDC, which was guaranteed by 40 of the members.
The four courts were laid by en-tout-cas, and the club house built by Herbie Geen - a member and builder - with some assistance from club members.
By 1974, the courts were in use, and the club has consistently been the major club in the North Devon area, in all respects - membership, junior provision, performance, facilities, and social activities.
When the Tarka indoor tennis centre opened in 2003, there were concerns that Westward Ho! Tennis Club might lose members to this new facility, but there has been an overall increase in tennis playing in the area, which has been to the benefit of all local clubs.